Summer camps have been a popular tradition for decades. Every year, millions of children pack their water bottles and sun block, put on their sneakers and sun hats, and head off to summer camp, oftentimes to spend time in the great outdoors, make new friends, and engage in fun activities. Some of the key benefits of summer camp are that it promotes healthy interests and active living, through engaging activities that ultimately help kids disconnect from sedentary routines and technology.
In this blog article, we will explore the benefits of summer activities for children, the negative effects of too much screen time, and how summer camps provide a perfect opportunity for children to unplug and enjoy nature.
Benefits of Summer Camp Activities for Children
Children need to spend time participating in positive summer camps for their physical, emotional, and cognitive development. Camp activities provide a multitude of benefits, such as:
✅ Improved physical health: Sport-based summer camp help children improve their physical health by promoting cardiovascular fitness, building strength and endurance, and improving motor skills.
✅ Reduced stress and anxiety: Spending time outdoors and engaging in physical activities can help reduce stress and anxiety in children. Physical activity releases endorphins, which help reduce stress and promote feelings of well-being.
✅ Improved cognitive function: Active participation has been shown to improve cognitive function in children. Studies have shown that physical activity can improve attention and memory, and can even improve sleep patterns.
✅ Increased creativity: Camp activities stimulate the imagination and promote creativity in children. Engaging in creative play can help children develop problem-solving skills and enhance their creativity.
Negative Effects of Too Much Screen Time
While technology has brought many benefits to our lives, it can also have negative effects on children. Research has shown that too much screen time can lead to:
❌ Obesity: Children who spend too much time in front of screens are at an increased risk of obesity. This is because screen time is often sedentary, and children are not getting enough physical activity.
❌ Poor sleep: Screen time before bed can disrupt sleep patterns, leading to poor quality sleep and daytime fatigue.
❌ Social isolation: Too much screen time can lead to social isolation, as children may spend less time interacting with others in person and more time communicating through screens.
❌ Impaired cognitive development: Studies have shown that excessive screen time can impair cognitive development, especially in the areas of language and social skills.
❌ Decreased creativity: Spending too much time in front of screens can limit a child’s creativity and imagination. This is because screens are often passive, and children are not engaging in creative play.
Summer camps provide the perfect opportunity for children to Get Up and Get Active. Here are some ways that summer camps promote healthy interests and positive activities that help kids disconnect from technology:
- Healthy activities: Summer camps offer a wide range of activities. These activities promote physical fitness, cognitive development, and creativity.
- Limited screen time: Most summer camps have rules about electronic devices and screen time. This helps children disconnect from technology and focus on other activities.
- Nature immersion: Summer camps provide a unique opportunity for children to immerse themselves in outdoor settings. Being surrounded by nature can help reduce stress and anxiety, and promote feelings of well-being.
- Social interaction: Summer camps provide opportunities for children to interact with others in person and develop social skills. This is especially important for children who may spend too much time communicating through screens.
- Lifelong memories: Summer camps provide children with unforgettable experiences that they will cherish for a lifetime. Being in a new setting, making new friends, and engaging in fun activities can create memories that will last a lifetime and help shape their personal growth and development.
- Skill development: Summer camps offer a variety of activities that help children develop new skills and interests. Whether it’s learning how to swim, play an instrument, or build a campfire, children have the opportunity to explore new interests and develop their talents.
- Team building: Many summer camp activities require teamwork and collaboration, such as group games and outdoor challenges. These activities help children develop leadership and team-building skills, which are valuable for their future personal and professional growth.
- Healthy habits: Summer camps encourage healthy habits such as regular exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep. These habits can have a lasting impact on children’s physical and mental health.
- Unplugged environment: Summer camps provide a unique opportunity for children to disconnect from the distractions of modern life and focus on personal growth and development. By spending time playing, exploring and engaging in physical activities, children can develop a sense of independence and self-confidence.
- Safe environment: Summer camps provide a safe environment for children to explore and take risks. Children are supervised by trained counselors and staff who are committed to ensuring their safety and well-being.
Summer camps provide a unique opportunity for children to disconnect from technology and engage in activities. By spending time in nature, engaging in physical activity, and interacting with others in person, children can develop important social and emotional skills, creativity, and self-confidence. Summer camps also provide a safe environment for children to explore and take risks, while promoting healthy habits and lifelong memories. If you’re looking for a way to help your child unplug and enjoy the time away from school, consider sending them to summer camp!
Registration is now open for Camp Play & Learn!
Camp Play & Learn will engage children, from Kindergarten to Grade Three, in healthy activities and physical literacy as they build fundamental movements skills and develop the foundations for healthy active living.
Camp PLAY & Learn will inspire foundational learning skills through FUNdamental movements. Children will be actively engaged in movement related activities and challenges as they develop physical literacy and move confidently, competently, creatively and strategically across a wide range of health-related physical activities. The program will support youth in foundational skills as they explore athletic foundations and learn to make healthy, active choices that are both beneficial to and respectful of their whole self, others, and their environment.
Camp PLAY & Learn will creatively engage children in the various styles of play (physical or intellectual, structured or unstructured). Children will be encouraged to learn by following their own instincts, ideas, and interests. Each carefully selected sequence of activities will facilitate the development of social and emotional competencies such as empathy, problem-solving, emotional regulation, and other foundational learning skills.
LOCATION : Hamilton, Ontario (East Hamilton – Stoney Creek Mountain)